Google
web Musings of The Global Traveller

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Grounded and stir crazy

I'm still grounded and going a bit stir crazy. While it has been nice having so many overseas visitors lately it isnt the same as doing some travelling myself.

In the meantime I've had to be satisfied with a few minor travel related things.

I've been experimenting with ways to get around certain restrictions on bookings on an airline website (mainly to do with connections and turnarounds). It's annoying when a website has rules built into it that don't appear to have any basis to them (eg requiring much more than legal minimum connection times). Some I managed to work out okay and others I'm still working on.

I also have finally gotten a tape measure to check my carry on size will be okay in UK with their new rules. Good news - it is small enough (just barely on the longest dimension). That's a relief as I mostly try to travel without checking bags. Although a bit of a worry that a carry on that has successfully travelled some 600,000 miles, and is by no means large, is almost too big for the new strict rules.

Lastly, I've also spent some time organising accommodation for upcoming trips. Ouch - one destination is much more expensive than my last stay there. Another I'm struggling with communication since I don't speak the language and time zones are most unfriendly so painfully slow dialogue.

I'm looking forward to an upswing in travel again. No doubt will start counting down the days soon.

No comments: