Google
web Musings of The Global Traveller

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chris Guillebeau, non-conformist?

I've been reading Chris Guillebeau's blog, The Art of Non-Conformity since it was launched. Like me, Chris is an avid traveller, but he also has a hip outlook on life and as he strives to meet his own writing and business goals also gives back by assisting others to achieve theirs. Really you should read his blog (and when his first book is published later this year read that too).

Anyway, after conversing online for some time finally our paths crossed and we met. Many of the people I've pointed to Chris' blog have commented that his style is very affable, and so he is in real life. He talks and acts just like he writes.

I had a very pleasant evening with Chris and others who'd come together to meet him. One of the many things we discussed was how thankful we were to be living now with the many opportunities we have that others in different places and times do/did not.

That's gotten me thinking. There is a mindset shared by many people I've met all over the world that is independent, open and outward looking. To some people this can be scary, and perhaps this is where Chris' approach is non-conformist. I'm somewhat saddened by this line of thought, because to me this is normal.

No comments: