Google
web Musings of The Global Traveller

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Thoughts on 2010

The blog

Firstly, prompted by Gary Leff's valid complaint about the recent lack of posts, I apologise to my readers. I haven't posted much in the last few weeks due to a crazy schedule, but this will change ... soon.

I'm working on a plan for 2010. Yes it is a bit late for new year resolutions, but I think this will be worth it. It isn't ready yet but I like how it is shaping up - there is something for everyone I hope. I also haven't forgotten that I have some unanswered questions and unfinished informational and advice series. These will be addressed.

As ever, I'm happy to accept any relevant questions by email, at Quick Questions, or by comment on a relevant post.

Travel news and developments

2009 saw lots of change, and even though 2010 has barely begun there has already been lots happening. Security rules change almost daily. Strike threats. A major airline about to be bankrupt (Japan Airlines). Consolidation of Chinese airlines. Frequent stay program changes (Hilton HHonors devaluation from 15 January). This rapid change will continue.

Meanwhile, the release of the movie Up in the Air late last year (or early 2010 depending on market) has been accompanied by more media attention on frequent flyers and frequent flyer programs (eg this piece today from WSJ). As a result there is a lot of information and advice becoming more widely available to the general public. Readers of this blog have already had access to this information, whether on Flyer Talk or in the tips and advice previously posted here and on other Boarding Area blogs.

Whenever there is change there is opportunity as well as downsides to manage. Having good quality information is as important for savvy travellers today as ever. This will be another great year.

No comments: