Google
web Musings of The Global Traveller

Friday, November 03, 2006

Another map tool

I came across yet another map tool, Platial, thanks to a post by gokubi. I've been playing around with it a bit and it looks quite useful and very easy to use (tip - to include a location on your map make sure the "add to mapname" box is checked!). You can see a map I've created showing the airports I have visited/will visit in 2006 (click on the 2, 3, and 4 below the places box to display the rest of the icons). In most cases entering just the airport code the map centered on to the right place, although there were a few missteps. As more people use the site it should bring up more locations already entered - currently there is a bit within US but not so much elsewhere.

I haven't used much of the functionality, but from browsing the site I can see several ways it could be used combining maps, directions, place information, venues and schedules, etc. I can see myself using it to arrange meetings, dinner, etc in unfamiliar surroundings. The software crashed a couple of times and I'm still having issues trying to incorporate a map in this blog (uses Blogger Beta so perhaps not fully supported yet) but overall pretty good I think.

As a side benefit of my playing I got some useful street maps for the neighbouring area of some unfamiliar airports which will make it easier for me to get around.

No comments: