I generally like getting emails from airlines and frequent flyer programs. I subscribe to dozens of email lists and it is a chance for me to be informed of deals and offers that I may have missed from other sources. Every day I get several such emails. Most I can't take advantage of but the few that I can use make it very worthwhile.
However, there are some marketing emails that serve only to annoy me. Here are a few recent examples from my inbox.
- Click to enter a competition for free flight/holiday/miles, open only to residents of a certain country. The frequent flyer programs know I am not resident of that country, and thus I am ineligible for the competition.
- Sign up for a new credit card for bonus miles. The card is only available in USA, a country in which it is notoriously difficult for non-residents to get credit cards. You guessed it, the frequent flyer program knows I am not a resident.
- Sale offer which is almost over. What is the point of sending an email at the end of a 2 week sale? Extra rant points if it is a sale which I could have used but have already bought a higher fare during the un-notified portion of the sale.
- Lengthy email about a sale, followed a day later by a long corrected email. The corrected email doesn't spell out what was corrected forcing a full re-read to see if the change affects me or not.
- Fantastic one day only offers which due to lack of internet access I only get to read the next day. Okay, this one is my fault.
What are your airline or frequent flyer program email peeves?