Google
web Musings of The Global Traveller

Friday, February 06, 2009

My travel plans for 2009

My travel for the first half of 2009 was largely mapped out last year, albeit with the usual last minute extra trips and cancellations. In the last few weeks I have been mulling over my travel for the second half of 2009 and thinking about how I can use the opportunities that 2009 may bring to a savvy traveller.

The conclusion I've come to is to have less bookings in advance and retain flexibility to snap up suitable good deals as they become available. I've also taken the opportunity to confirm some upgrades to first class using vouchers as I do not expect op-ups from business class.

Figuring out what is a good deal to take versus which ones I should not take is more difficult. I think the sales that have already happened or underway now, are just the beginning. In general, and especially in premium cabins, prices may drop on routes I wish to fly the more I wait. However it isn't as simple as that. Some currencies have moved massively in the past six months and further jumps/falls are expected. Even if prices may drop later it still may be worthwhile taking the current offer to lock in the exchange rates. In other cases some fares appear to be well out of line with fares on the main competition - if I wait then I may miss out on a bargain.

I probably will take advantage of the oneworld 10th anniversary sale, which is 10% off all oneworld products (round the world, continent passes, circle pacific/atlantic, etc), perhaps with a few tickets. [BTW it is nice that the oneworld promo is more accessible to their customers - much better than a competition in which very few people can win, ahem star alliance.]

No comments: