Google
web Musings of The Global Traveller

Friday, February 20, 2009

Not sleeping in airport

Due to some odd travel requirements I had an awkward travel schedule, with late evening arrival and flying out again early next morning. Factoring in travel time to and from the airport and it was worthy of some consideration as to whether I should just try to sleep at the airport instead of heading home for the night.

A significant delay for my flight in sealed the deal. Going home I was bound to get no more than 3 hours sleep, and risk missing my flight, versus staying at the airport where I might get up to 4 hours sleep and low chance of missing flight (due to noise from all the travellers on lots of early flights it would be unlikely I'd oversleep).

The domestic terminal was locked overnight as always, but there are places to sleep inside the international terminal landside portion. Unfortunately the late arrival meant the comfiest couches were already taken. Further there was a decent crowd of overnighters and so it was a bit noiser than normal.

Last time I'd spent the night here I'd discovered a corridor tucked away from all traffic except perhaps a cleaner, with some bench seats. So I encamped and settled in for the night. Unfortunately since then there was some kind of nightworker office opened in the corridor and all night there was a steady stream of people coming and going every 10 minutes.

Arrghh. No sleep for me. Around 4am I gave up and wandered around some to kill time before domestic terminal opened. As a result I now have another tucked away place I can try out next time, if there is a next time.

No comments: